Monday, June 23, 2008

The lost art of the RSVP

This happens to me a lot, as I hostess a number of events for my fraternity and other organizations I am a part of. I send out invitations - either e-vites or beautifully made hand-written cards. "RSVP" is clearly marked. Usually, I'm trying to gauge how much food to have on hand. Days go by, then a week, then two. It's the day before the event and I haven't received a single RSVP. Helloooooo?!?!?

So what has happened to the lost art of the RSVP? Have we reached a point where people feel so entitled that surely a hostess must just assume they will attend? Are we so busy in our lives that we can't make a common courtesy call? Or do the letters RSVP no longer mean anything? Can people decipher "LOL" and "ASAP" but not "RSVP?"

Your thoughts?

--Misty Cline works for the Office of Marketing and Communications at Fort Valley State University.

No comments: