In an effort to protect the tellers of these tales, I will share some stories that have come my way following the "What did you wish you knew before you went to college" post.
A coworker here in The Valley told me that, prior to entering college, she had never had to make a bed. "I wish I had known how to do that," she confessed. Which brings up a whole list of life skills that college freshmen need before going off to live in a dorm. Moms and dads, here's your homework: Teach the kiddies how to
1. Do laundry
2. Grocery shop - on a budget
3. Create a budget (and live on it)
4. Cook basic meals - boil water, use an oven without catching anything on fire
5. Put out a fire - with a fire extinguisher and with salt (for those in-oven disasters)
6. Clean a bathroom
7. Patch small nail holes in a wall (so that's what spackle is for!)
8. Sew on a button, repair the hem in a skirt or pants
Any other suggestions?