Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hindsight is 20/20

or: Things I wish I had known when I was in college

Someone challenged me yesterday to tell them one thing I learned after college that I wish I had known before I started college.

It has taken me a long time to whittle my response down to just one thing.

I wish I had had more fun while I was in college. I worked my way through, taking 15 to 18 credit hours and working at least one, sometimes two jobs. I got married midway through, so I was responsible for my own home and all that entails.

I wish I had known early on that I didn't really want a job in my chosen major. I wish I had known there was a way to get a Master's degree in the same time it took me to get a bachelor's with a teaching certificate.

But the most important thing, looking back: I wish I had taken more care with the college I chose to attend. Being the first in my family to go to college, and coming from a military family in which we moved every three years, I didn't have ties to any particular school. But see above comment about working, and you'll probably guess I went to the school that would cost me the least. And while I stand by the quality of my education, I certainly don't have the loyalty or pride I see in FVSU grads. I wish I had gone to a school that inspired that kind of loyalty. So I say, pick your school carefully. It's the most important decision you'll make as a 17 or 18 year old.

How 'bout it Wildcats? What do you wish you had known? Click on "Comments" below.
--Misty Cline works in the Office of Marketing and Communications.

No comments: